Thursday, November 16, 2006

MFA and Fashion Show 2006

While LA does have my favorite art museum, The Getty, Boston's Museum of Fine Arts should be able to fill that need to look at paintings and sculptures that I regularly have. It's certainly a rising star in my list of favorite places to visit when I have down time. It's big, modern, and have a pretty good breadth. One of the things I've noticed is that it has devoted more space than other places to non-European art. I look forward to seeing Islamic art because I'm quite fascinated by Islamic calligraphy! There's plenty to see and plenty of talks to attend! I'm super excited!

Last night, my sister, mother, and I also visited the Fashion 2006 exhibit. MFA has invited about 10 Fashion houses to display pieces from their 2006 collections. Being the fashionistas (by way of Project Runway) that we are, it was great fun to see beautiful pieces from haute coulture up close (although some are in the ready to wear collections.)

Of my favorites are the Christian Dior, Christian LaCroix, and Rochas collections.


John Galliano for Christian Dior was inspired by Johnny Depp's The Libertine for this collection. It's full for scarlet red decadence and destructed French Imperial costume. Very much like a glamourization of the violence in the French Revolution. It's provacative and beautiful at the same time. There were plenty of great pieces, but my favorite accent was the pearl necklaces that so many mannequins had. It was a white pearl choker (3 strands) but some beads on the right had been painted red. Strings of red crystals also drip down from it. Together, it mimics the blood coming from a partially severed head!


The Christian LaCroix collection carries a air of Spanish Romanticism. It didn't have the shocking value of Christian Dior, but definitely delicate and young. I cant' remember which piece I liked most, but it was super cool.

Finally,the Rochas collection was inspired by Victorian Chimneys. S black and grey dominated the palette. What I liked most about the collection is the development of this color, slowly shifting the color. It had plenty of great details with tailored mensuits and nice silhouettes. It's feminine, but not in that delicate, virginal way like Christian LaCroix. It's feels more mature.

Anyhow, that was super fun!

No comments: