Thursday, July 05, 2007

Boston never disappoints




Teaser Fireworks during Symphony Half-time with the 1812 Overture
(You gotta have fireworks and cannons with that!)

Being the gung ho person that I am, I volunteered to stake out land for the fireworks show along the Charles yesterday. Arriving at 9am, I found the place packed with people already along the Esplanade.

Luckily, I was able to find a nice spot at the west side of Esplanade that was beautiful. There were enough trees that gave us plenty of shade for the day, but also an unrivaled view of the fireworks barge

So the day began beautifully. From 9 til noon, there was sunshine and nice wind -- altogether a great day to lay out in the sun. From Noon onwards, it was cloudy skies. Howevever from 4 onwards there was sprinkles and some drizzling. Again, being the gung-ho person that I am, I worried if the show would be canceled due to inclement weather. The trees, at this point, became a second blessing. As amateurs, I clearly did not understand the moodiness of Boston weather. To stake out a spot means you'll need to be prepared for the rain. Without full tents and umbrellas, the trees became a wonderful refuge from the drizzling.

As I have mentioned, I volunteered to stake out the land for people in class. Although the initial response was not a full fanfare, I had expected people to show up. Sadly, aside from a few people who were with me, others came and went. I was sad because I had saved a large piece of land for everyone and hardly anyone showed up (maybe under 10). Eitherway, special shout-out to the virology program. Rain had made their spot pretty miserable (as they were unshaded). They joined us and made the part much larger!

The show came on and it was an AWESOME show. We cannot see EVERYTHING in one look. I didn't take pictures of it during the show because it was too awesome to spend time looking into a small screen. I wanted to see every bit of it. Everything was worth it.

Oh yes. Super special thanks to Nate and Alison for being crazy enough to hang out with me all day on the river.




MIT lit up!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! That's an amazing photo. DAYAM!

Sharona said...

those fireworks look amazing! but still, don't you miss almansor park fireworks??