Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Awesomeness

I have this class called Micro 230. In there, we read a lot of papers and critique them. The sick thing is that my new instructor for that course is KEVIN STRUHL. I presented one of his papers in my junior year HHURP journal club. It's gnarly to put a name to a face and personality.

---

In the past, my lab had been criticized for techniques (ie RNase Protection Assays and Nuclear run-on with G-less cassettes) that fell out of favor with the general community since chromatin IP and quantative RT-PCR came onto the scene. One time, I mentioned how I had to do a CsCl spin to isolate DNA and my classmate said "Wait, we're in the same generation, how come I never did it?" Anyhow, together, it made me feel very archaic.

After being owned by the midterm, I still had molecular biology class. The professor, Steve Buratowski (whose work I am decently familiar with since the Martinson Lab was interesting in many of the same things) talked about RNase Protection Assays, Nuclear Run-ons, and G-less cassette analysis for studying transcription. I felt very vindicated that someone still talks about these techniques.

No comments: