Sunday, April 22, 2007

Fountains of Wayne

After 7 years of being a fan, I finally got to see one of my favorites bands, Fountains of Wayne, live.

The band is coming out with a new album and did a very nice mix of both old and new songs. They played at Paradise Rock Club, a really intimate venue of maybe 500 people. We took seats at on the of side levels to get a good view.

I loved all the older songs and was glad that the new songs didn't disappointed. Of course, the crowd pleaser is Stacey's Mom. Since we were sitting up in the stands, It was hard to just get up and dance to it. So much of a good show is being able to enjoy the music and rock out with it. I felt totally constrainted. Even though I knew most of the words to the older songs, being able to partake in the music is definitely makes a difference in the overall experience.

I'm surprised at the allocation of songs. Yes, there's a fair amount from the new album, and those were good. There's also a lot of songs from their third album, Welcome Interstate Manager. What's surprising is that they many songs from my favorite album of theirs, Utopian Parkway, but skipped over Red Dragon Tattoo (which is where my SN is loosely based on.) That was a bit of a downer.

Overall, wonderful show. Wished I can rock out with them.

No comments: