Wednesday, August 29, 2007

What I appreciate a lot: Good Service

In the last few days, I had to deal with a lot of bureaucratic shit and customer service calls, bouncing from one office to another and subsequently, one incompetent and not very helpful receptionist to another.

It makes me very annoyed when I've been asked to call ahead of time, show up to an appointment, and have the receptionist who was clearly the one I had spoken to, completely not know who I am. I had explained to her that I had just talked to her half an hour ago, and she has no recollection at all.

Then there's the Comcast automated service. I needed to get new cable service at my apartment My roommate was moving out and she was taking the cable service with her. So I called the comcast customer service number and was promptly greeted with a prerecorded "Please enter thetelephone number including area code where you have or want" Well I can't do that...We don't have a landline in our apartment since we all have cell phones. So I punch 0 as a default, since normally, that will direct your call to an operator, who may be able to help me. I do that three times because the damn machine things I'm just a delinquent. After the third time, they forward my call to some other line, which is completely not of help! In essence, I was hung up on. Most insultingly, they tell me to call a number for Time-Warner, ending with "It's very easy, just hang up the phone and dial the number mentioned" I was fuming at that point. Not only was the whole automated service of no help, but it ended the phone call completely patronizing me!

What I appreciate more than ever now is good customer service. The one that is helpful. Where they listen to what you want, and even though they can't do too much to make everything go your way, they can make it a little bit less frustrating.

Here are two examples:

1) Cashiers who ask to see my ID when I swipe my credit card because the signature box on the back tells them to ask. Some people might find this to be an insult, and incovenience, but it's one of the few inconveniences that I will actively encourage. Identity theft is rampant and I dont mind being asked to show my ID. It's out already when I take my credit card out from my wallet!

2) Fidelity. I had an Roth IRA account with Fidelity and after realizing that I am not able to contribute to one due to some really bullshit tax definition. I had to ask a lot of questions to clarify things and these people were so helpful with my questions. Calls were redirected promptly. They always give me their extension so if the call falls through, I can reach them again. It was just great. I loved dealing with them. In fact, they're so good, I will definitely go back to them again!

No comments: